My version is all about the lemon flavour (by now you must have realised I really, really like lemon!) The garlic is there, but subtly so.
- Whisk the garlic paste, salt, egg yolks, and 3 tsp of the lemon juice in a heavy bowl until the mixture is light and creamy
- At high whisk speed, add the oils to the yolk drop by drop. Increase oil to a thin stream and continue whisking until you have incorporated all the oil
- If the aïoli it too thick, whisk in the warm water to thin
- Stir in the remaining lemon juice, most of the grated lemon zest and adjust seasonings
- When ready to serve, sprinkle remaining lemon zest on top
Use this aioli in sandwiches, salads, or as a sauce for meats, fish, and vegetables.
If you have no time or patience to make this you can cheat and simply add a bit of garlic and grated lemon zest to ready made mayo!