Tangy but sweet and so moist…. I have spent a long time adapting and playing with this recipe and I have to admit that I have not tasted better ones anywhere!
Makes 12ish big ones, 24 smaller and prob lots of mini ones (have not tried!!)
200g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
200g self raising flour
Lemon Syrup (use this unless you have made Candied Lemon Peels in which case you can use the left over syrup from that recipe)
75g caster sugar
5 tablespoons lemon juice
600g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Put sugar, butter and lemon zest in a bowl and mix together till creamy and fluffy
- Beat eggs lightly in separate bowl and slowly add to mix using medium speed. If mixture curdles add a little of the flour. Once egg and butter are combined well, mix in remaining flour at slow speed
- Divide mixture between cases. If making large cupcakes bake for 18-20 min, if smaller, 10-15 – you want them golden and springy to the touch when they are done
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes then prick tops with a skewer and while still warm soak each one with the lemon syrup using a pastry brush.
- Put in small saucepan and bring to boil while stirring to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool completely before using. Will keep in fridge for a month in airtight container.
- Combine ingredients until light and fluffy. If too runny add a little more icing sugar.