I first tasted this when I was 9 and the flavours have stayed with me ever since! The crisp salad with the luke warm skate wing and the tangy lemon….gorgeous.
If you have a frying pan large enough to fit the whole skate wing – great – use it! If not, have the fish monger cut the skate wing in half or do this yourself!
- Heat the olive oil and butter in the frying pan
- Season the skate wing with salt and pepper on both sides
- When sizzling, gently lay the skate wing into the pan
- Over medium heat, keep a close eye on the colour of the flesh of the skate wing. It will change from pink to white as it cooks
- After about 5 minutes, carefully turn the skate wing. While it is cooking, scrape the flesh off the wing and gently lay on a plate. he flesh should come away from the bone easily. If it does not, wait!
- Once the second side has been frying for 5 minutes, turn again and scrape flesh from this side. If any of the fish did not come off easily you simply repeat this process until all flesh has come off the wing. It will very much depend on the thickness of the wing you bought.
- Prepare two plates and lay the green salad down first and then the parsley. Sprinkle the luke warm skat wing onto it followed by the walnuts. Finally drizzle with the lemon dressing.
- Enjoy with a glass of white wine! Sauvignon Blanc…New Zealand…Dreaming now…