My husband inspired this recipe as he always roasts peppers and marinades them in lemon juice – the Sicilian way. This works just as well and to my surprise the children adored it!
Almost any vegetable will work with this however I like to use these as they become soft while still retaining a bit of bite!
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
Good glug of olive oil
Small splash of balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
A bit more olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- Wash and slice your vegetables – not too thin or they will burn but not too thick as they will not cook! About 5mm slices work well.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl, throw in the oil and balsamic vinegar and toss till coated. They should only be lightly coated – not swimming in oil!
- Place them on a baking parchment on a baking sheet and cook them for about 30 minutes or until soft and coloured (can be quite dark in places but not burnt)
- Remove from oven and return to bowl – add lemon juice, a bit more olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss and leave until you are ready to eat.
- This is really lovely as a starter or served with red meat or fish.