Absolutely gorgeous and actually quite scary when placed in a row! Look like they are coming for you! My children loved making and playing with these…not to mention eating them!
250g dark chocolate (70% cocoa content)
30g golden syrup
75g rice crispies
Pack of chocolate orange sticks (or mint sticks)
12 cup cake cases
To decorate – smarties/silver balls/Icing
- Place 150g of the chocolate, butter and syrup in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering hot water. Slowly let the ingredients melt. (You can do this in microwave – be careful not to overheat as this will make the chocolate hard and grainy).
- Once melted, stir to completely combine. This is when you can allow your little ones to take over! Let them add the rice crispies to the chocolate and stir – expect some of the mix to disappear……
- Once stirred, let them fill 12 cup cake cases (paper or silicone) with the chocolately crisp mixture. A table-spoon is a good tool for this.
- Cut the chocolate sticks into three pieces each and hand out six or eight pieces per cup cake case! My spiders only got six legs in the end….never mind! J
- Let the children place the legs around the sides of the cupcake cases by gently pushing them into the rice crispie chocolate mix.
- Melt the remaining 100g of chocolate gently and spoon this on top of the crispie mixture – ensuring you get it around the “legs!” – this is to ensure that the legs are stuck in well.
- Place the spiders in the fridge – or if in a rush the freezer – and let cool.
- Once completely cold and set – about 45 minutes in freezer, maybe 2 hours in the fridge – gently press the spiders out of the cases and onto their legs. Place two blobs of icing on the spider and put a smartie or silver ball onto each. Using icing pens, make eyebrows, lines or just decorate to your taste.
- Keep in an airtight container and eat within a week (not that you will need to as they will be gone in a day!)