Soft, lovely cupcakes that can be made anytime! Add a little fondant icing and some icing pens and you have a great Halloween treat! Use brown for reindeer, red for Santa….essentially just use your imagination and they can become anything you want them to be!
- Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy – if you dare let little ones do the whisking
- Beat in eggs one at a time adding a little flour with each
- Fold in remaining flour, cocoa and vanilla essence
- Fill each cupcake case 2/3 full (will rise in oven) – great for little fingers
- Bake at 180C for about 10 minutes (if fan assisted oven, 8 minutes will do)
Transfer to wire rack to cool. Once cool – you can decide how you want to decorate.
- If you want to make ghosts – as above – put a bit of jam on the cupcake and cover the cake with a small piece of ready to roll white icing (that you have rolled quite thin and into a circular shape). Add a few dots of black icing for eyes and mouth.
- Decorate with spider’s web and spider – as below – simply using icing sugar pens
- Finally, you can make proper icing and add food colouring – see below!
Basic principle for icing is to use double the amount of sieved icing sugar to butter. You then cream butter and add icing sugar gradually. Once soft and combined, add flavourings and colour (vanilla, lemon, orange etc)
For American style icing substitute half the butter for cream cheese!