Mild and delicate, yet filling and soul warming! Really easy to make and great for those cold, dark evenings! If hosting a meal it is beautiful presenting the soup in the carved out pumpkin!
Will serve a family of 4/5 depending on appetite!
2 small onions
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
2-3 sprigs of thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
100ml cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a big pot
- Roughly chop carrots, onion and garlic and saute briefly
- Carve out your pumpkin and roughly chop the flesh (save seeds and pumpkin – see other recipes!)
- Add the pumpkin flesh to the pot
- Prepare your broth by pouring boiling water onto stock cubes (usually 450ml per cube) and add to the pot
- Add the bay leaf and thyme (only leaves not the sticks)
- Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
I like to serve this soup clear with chunks of pumpking and carrot. If you prefer it with cream, add this right before serving and puree the soup. It is pretty to drizzle some cream into the bowl and scatter with pumpkin seeds.
Serve with a crunchy piece of baguette with cheese quickly heated under the grill.