Another family dinner favourite! As I type, our 6-year-old is on my lap eagerly asking ” OOhhh we love those! Can we have them for dinner?!”
I make these rolls with either turkey or chicken breast and as a meal it is quite economical seeing that you want the meat cut ever so thinly in order to be able to roll it. A pack of 400-500g of meat therefore feeds all five of us, and all three children are good eaters!
Serve the meat with hand cut chips, feta cheese and tomato cous cous, lots of greens (pak choi is a grown up household favourite and the children like broccoli, corn) or a big plate of fresh peppers/cucumber/carrots with hummus.
The meat cooks in the oven, no frying involved, and because of the ham and cheese it is ever so tender when ready, not to mention full of flavour. The bread crumbs add a nice crisp to each bite but is not necessary.
Cheese and Ham Stuffed Chicken Breasts500g chicken breast (will make about 8-10 rolls) 2 pieces of sliced bread – to make bread crumbs (you can buy these if you want of course) A few tablespoons of olive oil A few fresh basil leaves per meat roll 2 slices of cheese per meat roll 1 slice of ham per meat roll
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C
- Place the slices of bread in the oven as it heats up – keep an eye on them as you want them very crisp but not burnt!
- On a cutting board, and with a very sharp knife, slice the chicken breast pieces in half. Ideally you want each piece to be no thicker than 1cm.
- On each slice of meat, lay a slice of ham and cheese as well as some basil leaves (to make some of them more “grown up” you can spice them up with some fresh chilli or spread a layer of pesto on the inside)
- Roll the meat up – no need to fasten them but if you want you can put a tooth pick at each end to ensure they remain shut
- Your bread pieces will now be crisp – place them in a food processor and blend them on high speed for a few seconds – add salt and pepper and spread the bread crumbs out evenly on a large, flat plate
- Coat each chicken roll with olive oil (easiest done by putting oil in a plate and rolling the chicken in it)
- Then transfer the chicken rolls to the breadcrumbs and coat evenly with these.
- Lay the finished rolls on a lined baking tray and cook in the oven for 25 minutes
- The cheese will be runny and the bread crumbs crisp – so nice!