People always laugh at my putting oats into everything – but I do.
I add it to savoury dishes, to desserts, in drinks and, as this recipe will show, in breakfast or brunch pancakes. Why? Well, rather than using flour which leaves me feeling bloated and uncomfortable most of the time, oats fill me up, leave no nasty side effects and have very little flavour which means they can be used in most recipes. Oats are high in fibre and antioxidants however they do contain gluten, unless you buy gluten-free oats. The gluten content is very low though.
Eating oats carries many benefits, amongst others:
– stabilising blood sugar
– enhancing immune system
– removing cholesterol from the blood system
(read more here)
Bananas are, like oats, a great source of fibre and naturally sweet which means no added sugar is needed.
This recipe developed because we, as a family, had the habit of always eating pancakes together on a Sunday morning. Life is so busy, especially with three children and all that comes with them, and Sunday mornings were our quiet time. Our family time. But it was very sugar filled and ultimately we agreed that this must change. So the challenge was to create a treat, in the children’s eyes, that would be healthy. Banana and oat pancakes were born!
Banana and Oat Pancakes (makes three small, round pancakes)
1 ripe banana (the more ripe, the sweeter the pancakes)
2 tbsp whole rolled oats (or any oats you have)
Coconut butter for frying (coconut butter is magic! Read more here)
- Mash the banana in a bowl with a fork
- Crack the egg and add it to the banana – stir the two together
- Add the oats – if you prefer more dry pancakes you can add three tablespoons
- Heat a teaspoon of coconut butter in a frying pan
- Once melted and the pan is hot, add the pancake batter creating three round pancakes using a large spoon
- Fry for a few minutes then flip over and fry for a further minute or so.
- Transfer to a plate and eat either as they are or drizzled with Greek yogurt, honey and some goji berries (or any berries for that matter).
- They will be fluffy, sweet and keep you satisfied for many hours. Enjoy.