My absolute favourite part of Halloween! The orangy/yellow light that flickers through the pumpkin is magical and I adore seeing them lit up in front of houses and in windows.
- Pick a good pumpkin! Consider where you are placing it – if in a window then maybe smaller is better!
- With the pen, draw the shape you will cut out on top of the pumpkin – this will act as your lid. With the sharp knife, cut out this shape – grown ups should probably do the carving bit….
- With the metal spoon, scoop out all the flesh and seeds – keep these in a bowl for use in other recipes! This is a great one for little fingers! Ensure you leave a few centimetres of “wall” inside the pumpkin.
- With the pen, draw your design on the “face” of the pumpkin! Scary? Sweet? You can either let your children use their imagination or buy a stencil.
- Once satisfied with the drawing, get the knife out and carve the shape.
- When you are finished, clean any remaining pen markings off with a bit of household spirit.
- Place a tea light in the bottom, replace lid and wait for darkness so you can really show off your hard work!
- On Halloween night only light your pumpkin if you are happy for trick or treaters to come and knock on your door…the lit pumpkin is often used to signal “welcome”…